The North Florida Council Campmaster Corps is a group of experienced Scouters who support weekend camp activities at the North Florida Council camp properties - Camp Shands and St. Johns River Base at Echockotee.
Members of the Campmaster Corps have a working knowledge of the BSA Outdoor Programs, the Patrol method, Unit operations and general knowledge of the aims and objectives of the Scouting Outdoor Program.
Campmasters spend the weekend at the North Florida Council Camp Properties in a comfortable building with simple amenities (kitchen, cooking utensils, private bathrooms and beds) while providing service to Units camping at the property during the weekend. Typically, weekend duties begin when the Campmaster arrives on Friday and end on Sunday around noon (after the units have left the camp or when the Ranger says it is okay to leave). Campmasters can request their weekend and amount of service and some Campmasters serve as husband and wife teams for the weekend.
Campmasters are a visible presence at the camp property and ensure the safety and security of the Units and camp property.
During a typical weekend, Campmasters will:
- Check units into camp and collect rosters.
- Interact with the Unit Leaders to provide Commissioner-type service and other assistance as requested.
- Assist the Camp Rangers with special projects when requested.
- Help ensure camp policies are being followed by visiting units, campsites and camp facilities.
- Provide unit leaders with outdoor program and facility assistance to enhance the unit’s camping experience.
- Assist Rangers and Units during emergency situations.
- Check units out of at the end of their stay.
To be considered for the Campmaster Corps, you should be an experienced and registered volunteer leader and knowledgeable in the following areas:
- Scouting Outdoor Programs (all levels – Cub, Boy, Venturing, etc.)
- Guide to Safe Scouting
- Outdoor skills
- Specialized skills in Nature, Outdoors and other Scouting programs
- Able to discuss safety and camp policies with Unit leaders during their stay
- Able to visit units in campsites and visit camp facilities several times during your weekend.
So, are you ready to join the team?
For more information about the Campmaster Corps and Campmaster Training contact:
Sean Hodgkins - Camp Shands Campmaster Coordinator
Todd Graczyk - St John's River Base Campmaster Coordinator